Congratulations on your acceptance and welcome to The College of New Jersey!
Individuals enrolled in TCNJ classes are required to complete certain health requirements as a pre-requisite to attending classes and living in college housing. The only individuals exempt from health requirements are (1) non-matriculated students taking less than 4 units/semester (part-time status) and who do not live in college housing, (2) students who never congregate on-campus or in an an off-campus facility, such as those enrolled in programs for individualized home study or conducted entirely via electronic media, and (3) students who are exclusively taking classes outside the State of New Jersey. At such point that you no longer meet the exempt criteria, you become subject to health requirements. This typically happens when a non-matriculated student taking less than than 4 units per semester is formally accepted into a degree or certificate program at TCNJ.
|Fall entering||July 15|
|Summer entering||May 15|
|EOF Summer entering||June 1|
|Spring entering||January 15|
- TCNJ Record of Immunization (completed by your healthcare provider)
- Authorization to Treat a Minor (completed by your parent/legal guardian if you will be under age 18 when you arrive on campus)
- Physician’s Evaluation for Tuberculosis (completed by your healthcare provider ONLY if you answered YES to one or more questions on the Tuberculosis (TB) Screening Questionnaire on the New Student Medical History in OWL)
- Countries With Moderate to High TB Incidence Rates (refer to this form when answering questions on the Tuberculosis (TB) Screening Questionnaire in the New Student Medical History in OWL)
- Meningococcal Meningitis Fact Sheet (read before answering questions in the New Student Medical History in OWL)
Health requirements are completed in OWL, the Online Wellness Link. Do not send forms to our office. Please follow these steps:
- Log onto OWL using your TCNJ email username and password. Be sure to wait until your TCNJ email account is set up and working.
- Click on Forms at the top of the page and then on New Student Medical History. Complete the form and click submit.
- When answering the Tuberculosis (TB) Screening Questionnaire, please refer to “Countries With Moderate to High TB Incidence Rates” posted above under DOCUMENTS.
- If you answer “YES” to one or more of the Tuberculosis Screening questions, print out the “Physician’s Evaluation for Tuberculosis” posted above under FORMS and schedule an appointment with your healthcare provider to have it completed.
- With your completed TCNJ Record of Immunization in front of you, click on Immunization, then on Enter Dates. Enter the dates and then click Submit. Your immunization dates will be verified by our staff once we receive the TCNJ Record of Immunization.
- Click on Upload at the top of the page and follow the directions to upload the TCNJ Record of Immunization into OWL. You can also upload other forms (e.g., Authorization to Treat a Minor, Physician’s Evaluation of Tuberculosis) and any reports you have (e.g., laboratory results, chest x-ray report).
Some students find that they are missing one or more of the immunizations required to attend TCNJ. Vaccinations can be obtained from several providers in your community including your doctor, urgent care center, walk-in medical clinic, or pharmacist. Immunizations are also available in our office. Interested students can call 609-771-2889. Students who are completing vaccination series such as Hepatitis B where spacing between doses is necessary can obtain an extension from our office past the due date and into the semester if needed.
MEDICAL EXEMPTIONS FROM REQUIRED VACCINATIONS
Students are not required to have any vaccinations that are medically contraindicated. To apply for a medical exemption, the student must provide Student Health Services with a letter from their healthcare provider with the information:
- the name of the vaccine that is medically contraindicated,
- the specific period of time that the vaccine is medically contraindicated,
- the reason(s) for the medical contraindication based upon valid medical reasons as enumerated by the United States Department of Health and Human Services, Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). For current ACIP immunization schedules and recommendations, including contraindications, click HERE.
Applications for medical exemptions are reviewed by the director of Student Health Services and the student will be notified of her decision via TCNJ email. If approved, the student will be exempted from the specific immunization permanently (in the case of a permanent medical condition) or temporarily until such time that the student’s medical condition permits vaccination.
The College of New Jersey may temporarily exclude a student with a medical exemption from vaccination from classes and from participating in college-sponsored activities during a vaccine-preventable disease outbreak or threatened outbreak. The decision to exclude a student with a medical exemption will be made by the College in consultation with the New Jersey Commissioner of Health.
RESOURCES FOR DISABILITY & MENTAL HEALTH SUPPORT
ADA ACCOMMODATION REQUESTS
Please direct requests for accommodation for a physical or mental disability to Disability Support Services. See the DSS website for information at http://differingabilities.pages.tcnj.edu/ .
MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES
Questions and concerns about the availability of mental health services at TCNJ can be directed to Dr. Mark Forest, Director of Counseling & Psychological Services. Call 609-771-2247 or contact Dr. Forest by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .