Congratulations on your acceptance to the Career and Community Studies (CCS) Program and welcome to The College of New Jersey!
TCNJ PRE-ENTRANCE HEALTH REQUIREMENTS
All new TCNJ students are required to complete pre-entrance health requirements by the due date of JULY 15th as a condition of attendance. The Health Form takes time to complete and necessitates a visit to your doctor for a physical exam. It is important that you get started early so that you can submit the completed all health requirements by the due date and avoid the consequences of registration and housing holds. Follow these steps:
- Print out the PRE-ENTRANCE HEALTH FORM [PDF 1.33MB] and staple all pages together. You will need to download the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader in order to correctly view and print PDF (Portable Document Format) Files. It is FREE.
- Make an appointment with your health care provider for a physical examination for college.
- Completes pages 1 and 2.
- Read page 3
- Follow the directions on page 4. You will use your TCNJ email username and password to log on to OWL. Wait until your TCNJ email account becomes active to do this.
- Complete Fill out page 4. If you answer YES to one or more questions, your health care provider must complete pages 6 & 7, and sign page 7. You will need a TB test & evaluation.
- A doctor or nurse must complete pages 8 & 9 (Record of Immunization) and sign page 9. This form must be used to document immunization dates. Do not attach immunization records.
- Your health care provider completes page 10 after he/she does your physical exam. As an alternative, your health care provider can complete this form based on the results of a physical that you had within the past year. Our form must be used. If your physical is scheduled after the due date for the form, send the form in on-time and mail the physical examination page at a later date.
- Add any supporting documentation (e.g., laboratory tests, chest x-ray reports) behind page 10 and staple all pages together.
- Once all pages are complete, mail the Pre-Entrance Health Form to Student Health Services, The College of New Jersey, 2000 Pennington Road, Ewing, NJ 08628. Do not email or fax pages to our office. It is important that you make a copy of the Health Form before you mail it to keep in your personal files.
Many new students find that they are missing one or more of the immunizations required to attend TCNJ. This is why it is important to allow adequate time to obtain anything that might be missing from your records. If you will be unable to complete health requirements by the due date, it is important that you notify Student Health Services promptly and provide a timeline for completion of requirements. Students can obtain missing immunizations from several medical facilities in their community including their personal health care provider’s office, urgent care center, walk-in medical clinic, or pharmacist. Immunization is also available in TCNJ Student Health Services. Interested students can call 609-771-2889.
Students having trouble locating immunization records can find tips for locating these records on the Immunization Action Coalition web site.
If you are concerned about vaccination, the following websites may be helpful in providing accurate information:
- Vaccine Education Center (Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia)
- Vaccine Safety Information (Immunization Action Coalition)
- Vaccine Safety Concerns (Centers for Disease Control)
- Evaluating Information About Vaccines on the Internet (National Network for Immunization Information)
Applying for an Exemption from a Required Immunization for Medical Reasons
Students are not required to have any vaccinations that are medically contraindicated. To apply for a medical exemption, the student must provide Student Health Services with a written statement, currently dated and signed by the student’s health care provider by the DUE DATE of the Health Form, indicating the following:
- the name of the vaccine that is medically contraindicated,
- the specific period of time that the vaccine is medically contraindicated,
- the reason(s) for the medical contraindication based upon valid medical reasons as enumerated by the United States Department of Health and Human Services, Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). For current ACIP immunization schedules and recommendations, including contraindications, view Guide to Vaccine Contraindictions and Precautions.
Applications for medical exemptions from certain vaccinations are reviewed by the director of Student Health Services and the student will be notified of the decision by TCNJ email. If approved, the student will be exempted from the specific immunization permanently (in the case of a permanent medical condition) or temporarily until such time that the student’s medical condition permits vaccination.
The College of New Jersey may temporarily exclude a student with a medical exemption from vaccination from classes and from participating in college-sponsored activities during a vaccine-preventable disease outbreak or threatened outbreak. The decision to exclude a student with a medical exemption will be made by the College in consultation with the New Jersey Commissioner of Health.
USING STUDENT HEALTH SERVICES
Prior to the start of EACH academic year, please submit the following form to Student Health Services:
- For students who have a court-appointed legal guardian - Download the Form
- For students who do NOT have a court-appointed legal guardian - Download the Form for the 2014-15 Academic Year
Students with a release form on file showing that they do not have a legal guardian can be seen alone in SHS. Students with a release form showing that they have a court-appointed guardian must be accompanied by their Legal Guardian to their SHS office visit. Students without a current release form on file are ineligible to be seen in SHS except in cases of medical emergency as determined by the SHS clinical staff. All questions about this document should be directed to the CCS office who will then consult with the TCNJ legal department.